News

Queen Elizabeth holds first official engagement since hospital stay



Queen Elizabeth II has carried out her first official engagement on Tuesday since spending a night in hospital and being ordered to rest by her doctors last week.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Buckingham Palace said the Queen had conducted two virtual Audiences via video link from Windsor Castle.

The 95-year-old queen, the world’s oldest and longest-reigning monarch, stayed overnight at London’s King Edward VII private hospital last Wednesday after undergoing “preliminary investigations” for an unspecified, but not Covid-19 related, ailment.

It was Elizabeth’s first overnight hospital stay for years, but royal officials said she was in good spirits and she returned to her Windsor Castle home the following day where she got back to carrying out light duties.

The queen appears on a screen from Windsor Castle during a virtual audience to receive the Gunn Kim, South Korea’s ambassador, at Buckingham Palace in London on Tuesday.Victoria Jones / Pool via AP

On Tuesday, she carried out two virtual audiences to welcome the new ambassadors to Britain from South Korea and Switzerland.

Pictures showed the monarch, wearing a yellow dress, smiling and looking her usual self during the engagement.

Elizabeth, who is queen of 15 other realms including Australia, Canada and New Zealand and next year celebrates 70 years on the throne, is known for her robust health and still carrying out many public duties.

However, she was forced to cancel a planned official trip to Northern Ireland last week after her medical team said she should rest for a few days.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *