News

Jan. 6 committee subpoenas Stephen Miller, Kayleigh McEnany among other top ex-Trump aides



WASHINGTON — The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol issued a new round of subpoenas on Tuesday to former officials who worked in the Trump administration, including former top aides Kayleigh McEnany and Stephen Miller.

McEnany had been serving as White House press secretary on the day of the riot, a position she held from April 2020 until Trump left office. Miller, formerly a senior advisor to Trump, spread erroneous information about voter fraud in the 2020 election and was also involved in efforts to encourage state legislatures to alter the outcome, according to the committee.

Others subpoenaed include Nicholas Luna, a personal assistant to Trump; Molly Michael, a special assistant to Trump; Ben Williamson, a deputy assistant to Trump and senior advisor to former Chief of Staff Mark Meadows; Christopher Liddell, a former White House deputy chief of staff; John McEntee, a former White House personnel director; Keith Kellogg, who served as former Vice President Pence’s national security advisor; Cassidy Hutchinson, a special assistant to Trump for legislative affairs; and Kenneth Klukowski, a former senior counsel to assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark.

“We believe the witnesses subpoenaed today have relevant information and we expect them to comply fully with the Select Committee’s investigation as we work to get answers for the American people,” said Select Committee Chair Bennie Thompson, D-Miss. in a statement.

The fresh batch of subpoenas comes only a day after the select committee issued subpoenas to six former Trump administration and campaign officials. They included Bill Stepien, Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign manager; Jason Miller, a senior campaign adviser; Angela McCallum, a campaign aide; John Eastman, a conservative lawyer who was reported to have advised Trump and others in the administration; Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser; and Bernard Kerik, an adviser who the committee said used Washington, D.C., hotels as “command centers” for the campaign’s election strategy.

The panel has already issued subpoenas to dozens of people in its investigation so far. Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., the committee’s ranking member, said last week that the panel had at that point interviewed more than 150 people.

Meanwhile, Trump attempted late Monday to block the National Archives from releasing a trove of documents to the committee on Friday. A federal judge denied his emergency request.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *