News

Travis Scott went to a party after Astroworld but was unaware of the tragedy, source says



Travis Scott attended a party at Dave & Buster’s after performing at his Astroworld festival in Houston on Friday night, unaware that eight people had died and dozens of others had been injured during the concert, according to sources close to the rapper.

“Travis didn’t know the severity of the situation when he arrived at the party, as far as timing, this remains consistent with the fact that no one including the police had publicly confirmed the gravity of the events that had taken place,” the sources told NBC News. “When someone told Travis at Dave & Buster’s about the tragedy, he immediately left the party,” which was hosted by rapper Drake.

The artist made a surprise appearance during the concert.

According to authorities, the “crowd began to compress toward the front of the stage” at about 9:15 p.m. local time. Around 50,000 people were at the festival at NRG Park, which was hosted by Scott.

“That caused some panic, and it started causing some injuries,” Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña said at a news conference. “People began to fall out, become unconscious, and it created additional panic.”

One festivalgoer, Alleighya Odom, 21, said the tightly packed crowd “was like this force on my back, this continuous force.”

“It was scary, like, genuinely,” Odom said.

“I started looking around, and there’s people on the ground. There’s people looking at me, like, scared, eyes wild, like, ‘Please help me,'” she continued. “There’s people behind me crying because they’re being stepped on.”

Odom said Scott had stopped the show multiple times to request assistance for fans. Footage posted on social media also showed the rapper pausing his performance, and The Houston Chronicle reported the artist halted his act a number of times throughout the show after spotting fans in distress near the stage.

Other festivalgoers, however, called out the rapper on social media for failing to end the concert. During an appearance on NBC’s “TODAY” show, Peña said that everyone, “starting from the artist on down,” has a responsibility during shows.

According to the fire chief, evidence shows that attendees tried to approach some of Scott’s private security officers to alert them of the situation.

“At one point, there was an ambulance that was trying to make its way through the crowd. And he’s got, the artist has, command of that crowd,” Peña said.

“The artist, if he notices something that’s going on, he can certainly pause that performance, turn on the lights and say, ‘Hey, we’re not going to continue until this thing is resolved.’ That’s one way to do it, yes.”

Scott’s girlfriend, Kylie Jenner, who is pregnant with their second child together and was at the concert, defended the rapper.

“I want to make it clear we weren’t aware of any fatalities until the news came out after the show and in no world would have continued filming or performing,” she said in an Instagram post.

Eight people ranging in age from 14 to 27 were killed, and 25 were taken to hospitals. More than 300 people were also treated throughout the event at an on-site field hospital, officials said.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *